To begin the process to earn any credential, you must submit a request in writing with a $25.00 fee to:
NCSAPPB, P.O. Box 10126, Raleigh, NC 27605
- Certified Substance Abuse Counselor (Alcohol and Drug Counselor)
- Licensed Clinical Addiction Specialist (Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor)
- Certified Clinical Supervisor (Clinical Supervisor)
- Certified Substance Abuse Prevention Consultant (Prevention Specialist)
- Certified Criminal Justice Addictions Professional (Criminal Justice Addictions Professional)
- Certified Substance Abuse Residential Facility Director (Non-IC&RC Credential)
For information regarding the Examination Process, click here.
Supervision varies between credentials, who may provide it and at what ratio.
For the CSAC, LCAS, and CCJP; the practicum supervision must be completed with a CCS or CSI at a ratio of 1:10 hours. After the practicum is completed, the supervision ratio changes to 1:40, however it may only be provided by CCS or CSI. The CSAC and CCJP require on-going supervision at a ratio of 1:40 for the first renewal cycle, 1:80 for the next, and finally 1:160 for as long as they hold the credential. This may be provided by an LCAS.
The above paragraph applies to the CSAPC as well, however this supervision may be provided by a CSAPC with 3 years of experience.
Neither the CSAPC nor the LCAS require on-going supervision.
For the CCS/CSI application process, a Clinical Supervisor Intern must receive supervision from a CCS at a ratio of 1:80 hours. The CCS is required to update the NCSAPPB each year supervision to a CSI is provided.